National Redress Scheme - Update
The update gives an update on the National Redress Scheme (the Scheme). It covers the First Interim Report of the Joint Select Committee on Implementation of the National Redress Scheme and recent data on application progress.
The update contains material that could be confronting or distressing. Sometimes words or images can cause sadness or distress or trigger traumatic memories, particularly for people who have experienced past abuse or childhood trauma.
Support is available to help you if you need it. To find out more, go to www.nationalredress.gov.au/support.
If you need immediate support, 24-hour telephone assistance is available through:
First Interim Report of the Joint Select Committee on Implementation of the National Redress Scheme
The First Interim Report of the Joint Select Committee on Implementation of the National Redress Scheme was released on 3 May 2020. The report is available. The report includes 14 recommendations concerning the implementation of the Scheme. The recommendations are now being considered.
The Joint Select Committee was established in September 2019 to inquire into and report on:
- the Australian Government policy, program and legal response to the redress related recommendations of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, including the establishment and operation of the Commonwealth Redress Scheme and ongoing support of survivors
- any matter in relation to the Royal Commission's redress related recommendations referred to the committee by a resolution of either House of the Parliament.
Application progress as at 24 April 2020
As of 24 April 2020, the Scheme:
- had received 6,716 applications
- had made 2,093 decisions, including 1,751 payments totalling over $136.8 million
- had made 370 offers of redress, which applicants have six months to consider
- was processing 3,843 applications
- had 859 applications on hold, including 526 because one or more institution named had not yet joined.
Find out more
To find out more about the Scheme, go to www.nationalredress.gov.au or call 1800 737 377 from Australia or +61 3 6222 3455 from overseas and leave a message.