Recent progress and support over the holiday season
This update on the National Redress Scheme includes recent progress and support available over the December/January holiday season.
For more information, call 1800 737 377 from Australia or +61 3 6222 3455 from overseas. To find support services, go to the support services webpage.
Support over the holiday season
For many, the December/January holiday season may be a positive time of celebration with loved ones.
However, it can also be an intense and challenging time when feelings of isolation and loss can surface, and stress, anxiety and depression are heightened.
Support is available to help you if you need it.
The National Redress Scheme phone line will remain open over the holiday season (Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm local time) with the exception of 25 – 27 December 2019 and 1 January 2020.
Redress Support Services are available to provide free, confidential emotional and practical support before, during and after applying to the Scheme. The following Redress Support Services will remain open over the holiday season:
- Blue Knot Foundation – 1300 657 380 (available nationally Monday to Sunday 9am – 5pm AEST)
- MensLine – 1300 78 99 78 (available nationally 24-7)
- Sexual Assault Counselling Australia – 1800 211 028 (available nationally 24-7)
- Canberra Rape Crisis Centre and Service Assisting Male Survivors of Sexual Assault crisis line – 02 6247 2525 (ACT only available Monday to Sunday 7am – 11pm AEST)
- Sexual Assault Support Service crisis support line– 1800 697 877 (Tasmania only available 24-7).
The remaining Redress Support Services will operate with revised opening hours over the holiday season. Alternative contact details will be provided on their answering machines, websites and/or social media pages.
If you need immediate assistance, please contact:
- Beyond Blue 1300 224 636
- Lifeline 13 11 14
- Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467
- Mensline 1300 78 99 78
- In an emergency call Triple Zero (000)
As of 29 November 2019, the National Redress Scheme:
- had received over 5,510 applications
- made 1,096 decisions, including 792 payments totalling over $64.1 million, and 155 offers of redress awaiting an applicant’s decision
- had an average payment amount of $81,000
- was processing over 3,610 applications
- had 591 applications on hold because one or more institution named had not yet joined, and 218 applications required additional information from the applicant.
Since 1 July 2019, more people have received redress than in the entire first year of the Scheme. From 1 July 2019 to 29 November 2019, 563 applications were finalised, resulting in 553 payments.
Find out more
To find out more about the National Redress Scheme, call 1800 737 377 from Australia or +61 3 6222 3455 from overseas (Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm local time with the exception of the December/January dates listed above).
You can also go to the website home page: www.nationalredress.gov.au