knowmore financial counselling

Redress financial counsellors can assist people who are thinking about applying or have applied to the redress scheme.

Redress payments from the National Redress Scheme are treated differently to other payments. It is important to understand how the payment may affect your situation, including if you receive a Centrelink payment or have any debts.

If you have received or expect to receive a payment from the National Redress Scheme the redress financial counsellors can work with you to:

  • manage your debts before receiving payment
  • improve your ‘financial health’ before receiving payment
  • advise you about the effect the lump sum payment will have, including any impact on benefits you may receive
  • help protect the payment from others who may be trying to access the money

If you are having difficulty paying bills, debts or fines the redress financial counsellors can advise you about your rights and options. If necessary, they can speak with lenders or creditors on your behalf. 

To make the most of your redress payment, it is important to seek assistance before the payment is received.

Redress financial counsellors work in knowmore’s multidisciplinary team, delivering services that are person-centred, trauma-informed and culturally safe. 

More information is available on knowmore’s financial counselling webpage.

You can call knowmore for redress financial counselling on 1800 605 762.

Words used on this page

Institutional Child Sexual Abuse
When the child sexual abuse occurred, for example, on the premises of an institution, or where activities of an institution took place (such as a camp), or by an official of an institution.
National Redress Scheme
The Australian Government set up the National Redress Scheme to provide redress to people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse. The offer of redress can include: access to counselling, a redress payment and a direct personal response.
Redress Payment
People can apply for this payment as part of the National Redress Scheme.