knowmore legal support

The knowmore legal service is for anyone who is considering applying for redress under the National Redress Scheme. It is free, confidential and independent. knowmore can assist you:

  • with information on the options available to you, including access to compensation through other schemes and common law rights and claims
  • prior to the application, to ensure you understand the requirements and the application process
  • after you receive an offer of redress and you elect to seek an internal review of the decision
  • with advice on the effect of accepting an offer and what that means for future claims.

There are offices in South Australia, Queensland, Northern Territory, Victoria, Western Australia and New South Wales.

You may want to use your own legal service to obtain advice and assistance. It may not be free.

You can call knowmore on 1800 605 762 or TTY: 1800 555 677, then 1800 605 762

National Relay Service: 1800 555 727, then 1800 605 762

or you can go to the knowmore website.

Words used on this page

The application is available online or by paper. You can make an application at any time between now and 30 June 2027.
Civil Claim
A civil claim is when you sue someone in court for compensation (money).
Institutional Child Sexual Abuse
When the child sexual abuse occurred, for example, on the premises of an institution, or where activities of an institution took place (such as a camp), or by an official of an institution.
National Redress Scheme
The Australian Government set up the National Redress Scheme to provide redress to people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse. The offer of redress can include: access to counselling, a redress payment and a direct personal response.