As a child, Martin was arrested for stealing an $8 pair of jeans and sent to a boys’ home. While there, he was sexually abused by people who were responsible for his protection. It was a painful time for Martin and he did not talk about it for more than 50 years.
After applying through the National Redress Scheme, Martin received an apology and a payment. He could not change what happened, but he did find a way to move forward that was right for him.
In the video below, Martin shares his story and experience of the National Redress Scheme. This video is two and a half minutes long.
For more information, you can:
- contact a Redress Support Service
- call the Scheme
- go to the About, Applying and Institutions pages of this website.
If you need immediate support, please contact:
- Beyond Blue (1300 224 636)
- MensLine Australia (1300 789 978)
- Lifeline (13 11 14)
- Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467).